Over the past few weeks I've heard more than one person say "God is messin' me up." I have to say that I've been experiencing that myself. Over the past 6 months, in addition to the Bible, God has used books and bible studies like Radical, Crazy Love, The Tangible Kingdom, Sacrilege, 7, and One Another to totally mess with me as well. Even songs are blaring across the airways to "Live Like That." My heart keeps saying to share what God is teaching me in hopes of encouraging those who are as messed up as I am right now.
- God says to have no other gods before Him, no idols to worship... but if I'm consumed with my life, my wants, my comfort, my success, my money, my job, my house, and my stuff then who am I worshipping?
- God says do not murder... but if I know that people are dying daily due to unclean drinking water, hunger, disease, and extreme poverty but I refuse to purchase the means to provide for them then what does that say of me?
- God says do not commit adultery... but if I dress and talk like everyone else and if I refuse to forgive, love, serve, and encourage others am I not flirting with the world and lusting after it's ways?
- God says do not steal... but if I don't care for orphans and widows am I not robbing them of the love of a family? If I don't strive to help rescue children and women forced into human trafficking am I not robbing their innocence? If I see a homeless man on the street but look the other way am I not robbing him of a full stomach?
1 John 3:17 - But whoever has the world's goods, and beholds his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?
These questions are killing me. But, then again, that's the point - Jesus says you must die if you want to live. He also says don't just look out for your own interest but also for the interest of others and what you do for the least of these you do for Me. Jesus knows these will cause me to decrease so He can increase.
There's so much to do. The tasks seem overwhelming and difficult to sort through but one by one I will do the very best I can. I may not have tons of money in the bank and with two young children I don't have all the time in the world but one thing I do know is that I will never out-give God. He will always give me enough time and resources to bless others. I've failed miserably at all this in the past and I have so far to go but praise God that He is still willing to use me.
Mess me up, Lord, until I'm moldable. Make me into a servant who shares Your love in crazy, radical ways .
1 comment:
I just read this for the first time and all I can say is "Right on" and AMEN. If I can read any one part of this and not feel shame, sorrow or conviction, then the desire of my heart is for God to break my heart. I am so glad God is using you to be a part of Him messin me up.
Post a Comment